Frequently Asked Questions


What is included in the adoption fee?

Adoption fees include a microchip, spay or neuter, vaccinations, and a wellness check by a participating veterinarian.

Why are small breed dogs more expensive?

Small breeds tend to be highly adoptable and there are fewer available. Their higher adoption fee helps offset the costs of the pets that need to have a reduced fee.

I am looking for a specific breed. What do I do?

We generally have a large selection of mixed breed animals and, on occasion, we have purebreds available. Check our website frequently or check to see what animals are available.

What breeds of dogs will I find when I visit the shelter?

Although we have a wide variety of breeds, you will almost always find a large selection of these breeds and breed mixes: lab, pit bull, terrier, border collie, chow, shepherd.

What’s DSH?

This acronym stands for Domestic Short Hair, which is the most popular type of cat to come into our, and most other, shelters. These are basically mix-breed cats that come in all shapes and sizes.

May I adopt a pet as a gift for someone else?

Adopting a pet is a personal, lifestyle decision, and all potential adopters are carefully counseled by our Adoption Counselors to ensure that the pet and adopter are a good match. If you’re considering adopting a pet as a gift, we recommend that you, instead, purchase a gift certificate. Gift certificates are available at the shelter. Our gift certificates may be redeemed by adopters for any of our adoptable pets!

Can you hold an animal for me?

If you have completed an adoption application and you’ve been approved to adopt an animal, we can hold an animal for 24 hours

Surrendering a Pet

Sometimes it is deemed necessary for individuals to surrender an animal. This can often be a difficult and emotional journey. Sometimes a person must move and that move doesn't allow for a person to keep and/or transport a pet. We are here to help. Surrendering an animal to OPHS does not mean we keep the animal for a short period of time. We will find this animal a new home, just as all of our other animals.

It is important that you contact us to make an appointment to surrender you pet. Please call us at 360 457-8206.

Below is the paperwork to fill out and bring with you when surrendering a dog or cat that allows us to know the animals personality, preferences, and disposition.

Will you charge me if I have to surrender my pet to the Humane Society?

We do not charge a fee for surrendering an animal, however, we appreciate your donation to help care for the animal you are surrendering and the others at the shelter.

What will happen to my pet if I bring it to the shelter?

If your pet is healthy and adoptable, it will be placed for adoption once it is given a physical exam. If it is ill or has behavioral issues, we will do what we can to treat it and then put it up for adoption.

Will you euthanize my pet if it is not adopted in a certain number of days?

No. We do not euthanize healthy, adoptable animals for the length of time they’ve been at the shelter or for space.

Can I bring my pet’s favorite toys and/or bed if I surrender it?

Yes. We do everything we can to make your pet comfortable while it is at the shelter.

Can I find out if my pet has been adopted?

Yes. Just give us a call and we’ll give you the status of your pet.


Does my dog and/or cat need to be licensed?

Yes. Clallam County requires that all dogs and cats are licensed.

I received a tag from my veterinarian, isn’t that the pet’s license?

No, that is your pet’s rabies tag. A license can be purchased at the Humane Society, some veterinarian’s offices, Sequim Police Department, Clallam County Sheriff’s office and the county courthouse.


What would I do as a volunteer?

Volunteers assist staff in almost every area of the shelter. They clean, feed, walk and help socialize animals. They also help run special events and fundraisers.

How do I become a volunteer?

Download and complete a volunteer application. Once you have submitted the application, someone from OPHS will contact you to discuss what you would like to do to help out. We will then schedule an orientation for you at the shelter.

My child is under 16 years old but really wants to help – is there anything they can do?

Yes! Children between the ages of 12 and 15 are welcome to volunteer as long as they are with a parent or legal guardian.

I have court-ordered community service to complete – can I do it at OPHS?

Yes, you may complete your community service hours at the shelter. To fulfill community service hours, please call us at (360) 457-8206. Community service workers assist with laundry, dishes, cleaning and walk dogs.

General Questions

I don’t support euthanasia, so how can I support you?

We do not believe in euthanizing healthy and adoptable animals due to lack of space or the length of time they’ve been at the shelter. Euthanasia is reserved as a last resort to relieve suffering for the untreatably ill or injured and for very aggressive animals.

Is the Olympic Peninsula Humane Society a “no-kill” shelter?

We are a very "high-save" shelter. This means that euthanasia is reserved as a last resort to relieve suffering for the untreatably ill or injured animals or animals that have been determined by law enforcement as highly aggressive and dangerous. We receive approximately 1,500 animals annually. We do not turn away any animal regardless of breed, health or temperament.

While “no kill” is a popular phrase in today’s animal welfare environment, its use is misleading. Shelters that call themselves “no kill” limit the number of animals entering their doors. Some of these limited admission shelters close their doors to admissions when their kennels are full. Others charge high surrender fees to keep those who can’t afford the cost of surrendering their animals, and some only accept highly adoptable pets. This leaves the hard to adopt animals behind. This method does not provide a community-wide solution to the pet overpopulation problem and simply pushes the difficult to adopt or unadoptable animals to other area shelters.

How can I make a donation to help the animals in your care?

Click here to make a secure online donation or you can print out a donation form and mail or fax it to us.

Can I rent a trap from OPHS to catch a stray cat?

Yes. If there’s a stray cat in your yard, you may rent a humane cat trap from us. Traps are available at the shelter for a $75 refundable deposit and a fee of $5 per day. Please call the shelter at (360) 457-8206 for more information.

I found a raccoon under my porch, can you help me?

Any question regarding wildlife should be directed to Fish and Wildlife at (360) 452-3394.

What should I do if I have knowledge of an animal that is being abused or neglected?

If you live in the county, please call Animal Control at (360) 417-2259. If you live in the City of Sequim, call the police at (360) 683-7227 and if you live in the City of Port Angeles, call the police at (360) 452-4545.